When it comes to making your own pizza dishes there is nothing more important than the sauce, and this recipe is for a simple tomato based sauce that you can use.
- 800 g can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 - 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, fresh ground black pepper, and sugar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, to saute
- Heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat in a 2 litre saucepan.
- Add the onions and saute until just translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the saucepan. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add the fresh basil and oregano. You can add a touch of sugar if desired.
- Continue to simmer on a low heat, stirring often for at least 15 minutes. The sauce should show signs of thickening.
For a smoother sauce, allow to cool and blitz in a food processor.
If not using right away, cool and store in airtight container in the refrigerator, up to 1 week.