You wouldn’t think that something with such a deranged combination of ingredients as strawberries, bacon, chilli sauce, red onion, and mozzarella cheese could be so delicious! Go ahead, be brave and give it a try.
Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Pizza
- ½ cup good quality strawberry jam or preserves
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Chilli Sauce
- 1 x 30cm pizza crust
- 1 cup diced or shredded cooked chicken breast (from rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken of any kind)
- ½ cup bacon, cut in 2 cm pieces, cooked and drained
- ½ cup thin sliced red onion
- 350 g shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh strawberries, finely diced
- Place pizza stone or sheet pan on middle rack of oven. Preheat oven to 230°C.
- Place balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until reduced to half of the original volume and mixture is thick and syrupy. Add strawberry jam and Sriracha and mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Pat or roll out pizza dough on a lightly floured surface to a 27 cm circle (approx). Shape does not have to be perfect, this is a rustic pizza. Place a piece of baking paper, slightly larger than your dough on a pizza peel or an upside down sheet pan. (The baking paper will make your transfer of the pizza to the oven infinitely easier!) Sprinkle baking paper lightly with polenta. Fold dough in quarters and place on baking paper, then unfold.
- Combine chicken with 2 tablespoons of the balsamic-strawberry mixture and mix to coat all chicken with sauce. Pour rest of sauce onto pizza dough and spread to cover. Leave a 2 cm border all around the edge. Scatter chicken evenly over the sauce.
- Place about ¾ of the cheese on top of dough and spread to cover sauce evenly. Scatter bacon and red onion over cheese to distribute evenly. Scatter remaining cheese over this layer.
- Slide baking paper with pizza on top onto stone or baking sheet. Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Watch carefully, at this temperature it's easy to burn the pizza!
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly, 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and fresh diced strawberries. Serve and enjoy!