Ham and Asparagus Pizza
Author: The Cook
- 450 g fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 3 cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 450 g sliced honey or leg ham
- 2 small onions, cut into thin wedges
- 3 cups marinara or tomato pizza sauce (divided)
- 1 tablespoon polenta (cornmeal)
- pizza dough for 2 x 23 cm pizzas (divided in half)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Wash and trim asparagus then cut into 3 cm pieces.
- tablespoons of olive oil and 100 ml (5 tablespoons) of water in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and asparagus.
- Lightly saute the vegetables for about 4 minutes.
- Grease 2 x 23 cm pizza pans. Sprinkle with polenta.
- Pat divided pizza dough into pans, rounding the corners of dough and building up edges.
- Spoon marinara or pizza sauce onto dough. Spreading in a circular motion.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese onto dough and sauce. Leave about a third of the cheese to sprinkle over the ham.
- Lay sliced ham on the dough and sprinkle remaining cheese over the ham.
- Spread sliced asparagus spears and onions over pizzas. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until lightly browned (timing will depend on the dough used).
- Let the pizza cool, slice, and serve.
The addition of fresh herbs such as oregano or basil can add extra depth to your pizza