This pizza has sliced chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, and a few other complementary toppings, liberally laced with peri peri sauce. This pizza is perfect for those who like it spicy.
- 1 classic pizza base (see recipe)
- 1 cup basic pizza sauce (see recipe)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced roast, grilled, or BBQ chicken breast
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup baby spinach leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 small red onion, peeled, halved length-ways, then sliced sideways into thin half-round rings
- 1 cup peri peri sauce (see recipe)
- Set oven to preheat at 240°C
- Place pizza base onto a flat surface (an oven tray is perfect if you dont have a pizza peel) and spread with the pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the sauce.
- Arrange the cooked chicken, cherry tomatoes, spinach leaves and red onion slices over the pizza
- Drizzle the peri peri sauce over the pizza in a zig-zag motion.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the base is crisp and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pizza from oven, slice, and serve
You need to have a very hot preheated oven (preheat for about 15 minutes)
Make sure you keep the pizza pan or pizza stone inside the oven while it is pre-heating so it is also hot
Spray a little water inside the oven to get rid of the dry air (this is an important part of getting the crust just right)
For a peri peri chicken pizza a bit closer to the Nandos flavour you can substitute the spinach leaves with fresh coriander (cilantro) and add drained crushed pineapple.
A common addition to this pizza is sliced red capsicum (bell pepper)