Barberton Hot Sauce
Barberton is known for it's fried chicken dinner which includes this tomato-rice dish called "hot sauce". This "hot sauce" can be eaten as a dipping sauce or a side dish.
Author: The Cook
Cuisine: Mid-western United States
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño chillies, seeded, minced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cups water
- 440 g can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 tablespoon long-grain white rice
- ½ tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, jalapeño and capsicum. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in paprika and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add water, tomatoes with juices, rice, sugar and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and vegetables are completely tender, about 45 minutes.