This salad is full of fresh sliced vegetables such as cucumber, red onion, and coconut, with a little bit of spiciness to turn up the heat. It’s an easy salad to make.
Cucumber and Coconut Salad
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 telegraph cucumber, washed and chopped into thin slices
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced
- ¼ - ½ cup grated fresh coconut
- pinch salt, or to taste
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat, add brown mustard seeds and fry until they begin to pop, about 1 minute. Add to a small bowl along with lime juice, honey and ginger and whisk well. Set aside.
- Put cucumbers, red onion, spring onion, cashews, chilli and coconut onto a platter. Pour over the dressing and garnish with fresh coconut.
Its subtle flavour and delicate aroma make grapeseed oil a great choice for salad dressings. Canola oil is a suitable substitute.