Saladu Awooka àk Mango - Senegalese Avocado and Mango Salad
The creamy avocado, sweet mango, and bright citrus in this salad make a refreshing counterpoint to Senegal's rich and savoury stews.
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- ¼ cup peanut or canola oil
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1 cm cubes
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 small navel orange, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 teaspoons shredded coconut (optional)
- Whisk together 4 tablespoons parsley, oil, both citrus juices, jalapeño, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add mangoes and avocados, and toss gently to combine; cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate to meld flavours, about 1 hour.
- To serve, transfer avocado salad to a serving bowl; halve orange segments crosswise, and lay over salad.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley, and coconut if using. Serve chilled.
For variety, try substituting the parsley with fresh coriander leaves