This surprising salad combination will please your palate. The bright hues and refreshing flavours make Tomato and Watermelon Salad the perfect summer side dish.
Tomato and Watermelon Salad
- 5 cups (1½ cm) seeded watermelon cubes
- 700 g ripe tomatoes, cut into 1½ cm cubes
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- romaine lettuce leaves (optional)
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Combine watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl; sprinkle with sugar and salt, tossing to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Stir in onion, vinegar, and oil. Cover and chill 2 hours. Serve chilled with lettuce leaves, if desired. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper to taste.