Thanks to pre-packaged watercress, putting this salad together doesn’t get any easier. Watercress is very perishable, so try to buy it the same day you’re going to serve the salad. It is also readily available at local markets.
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Salad
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 500g watercress, tough stems trimmed
- 2 large red tomatoes, cut into bite-size wedges
- 1 yellow tomato, cut into bite-size wedges (or a couple if they are small)
- 1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, thinly sliced (or red onion)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and cut into short strips
- 1 cup radishes, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms, quartered
- ½ cup hearts of palm, cut into bite-sized pieces (optional)
- Combine the oil, vinegar, basil, chives, shallots, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a container with a tightly sealed top.
- Cover tightly and shake well, until dressing is well blended.
- Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- Shake well before serving.
- In a large bowl, toss the watercress, red tomatoes, yellow tomato, onion, cucumber, bell pepper, radishes, mushrooms and hearts of palm. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss to coat.