Polish BoysMore Hot Dog RecipesReading
Author: The Cook
Cuisine: Midwestern US
Recipe type: Hot Dogs
For the Shacha sauce
- 12 hot banana peppers from a jar, tops removed, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup American yellow mustard sauce
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the coleslaw
- ½ head Napa cabbage
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- 2¼ tablespoons champagne vinegar
- ¾ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ tablespoons American yellow mustard sauce
- 1½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¾ tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup shacha sauce
For the fries
- 900 g Coliban potatoes, peeled and cut thinly into into matchsticks
- canola oil, for frying
- salt, to taste
For the Polish Boy
- 4 Kielbasa sausages
- 4 hot dog rolls (hoagie rolls)
To make the Shacha sauce
- In a food processor, puree the peppers, garlic, mustard and vinegar.
- Pour the puree into a nonreactive saucepan, then add the sugar and bring it to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer the mixture for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl or juice glass, mix the flour and ½ cup water to make a smooth paste. Whisk it into the pepper mixture and continue to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly, until it becomes very thick. Let the sauce cool, then pour it into a covered nonreactive container (such as a glass jar). The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.
To make the coleslaw
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cabbage, garlic, onion, jalapeño, vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce and shacha sauce. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
To make the fries
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into long fries about 3 - 5cm thick. As you cut them, put them in a bowl of cold water to cover.
- Pour enough oil into a medium pot so that the oil comes 7 - 8 cm up the sides. Heat the oil to 135°C.
- Drain the fries and pat dry. Working in batches if necessary, cook them in the oil for about 5 minutes; they should be soft and pale. Remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon and rinse under cold water to remove excess oil and starch. Reserve the pot of oil.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels and lay the fries on top. Chill completely in the refrigerator. The potatoes can be prepared this way up to a day in advance of cooking them.
- When ready to eat, heat the reserved oil to 175°C.
- Add the fries in batches to the oil and cook, stirring gently, until the fries are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Using a spider or slotted spoon, remove from the oil to a large paper-towel-lined bowl and season them salt, shaking the bowl to distribute the seasonings evenly.
To build the Polish Boys
- Fry the Kielbasas for 5-10 minutes per side, until done.
- Place each in a hoagie bun, top with slaw, fries, and shacha sauce.