How to Prepare Abalone
1. Start with a fresh, whole, cleaned abalone
2.Cut abalone into thin slices (about ½cm thick).
3. Cut off and discard the edge of tough outer skin from each slice.
4. Put an abalone slice between two pieces of plastic wrap. This step greatly reduces the mess pounding, or tenderising, abalone produces, but is otherwise unnecessary.
5. Feel the abalone slice with your fingers so you know how it feels before being tenderised. Pound slice until tender – the abalone flesh will feel noticeably softer. Some people use a meat tenderiser to beat the abalone into submission, but we’ve found many gentle taps all over the abalone slice with the back of a large spoon tenderises the flesh without tearing it.
6. You now have a tenderised slice of abalone, ready to cook. Repeat with remaining slices.