Prawn and Crabmeat Lasagna
A delightful combination of prawns, crabmeat, and cheeses together with fresh lasagna sheets make the perfect pasta meal.
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Lasagna
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 450 g finely chopped mushrooms
- 1½ cups finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 350 g crabmeat
- 450 g uncooked large prawns
- 2 cups water
- 1½ teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 140 g feta cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese (reduced-fat if preferred)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced or finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 30 g fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- cooking spray
- 225 g precooked lasagna noodle sheets
- 225 g shredded mozzarella cheese (part-skim if preferred)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, thyme, and 2 garlic cloves; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine. Bring to a boil; cook 1½ minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat, stir in the crabmeat, and set aside.
- Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells. Cut each shrimp in half lengthwise; cover and refrigerate. Combine reserved shrimp shells, 2 cups water, celery salt, and fennel seeds in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1½ cups shrimp stock (about 15 minutes). Strain stock through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Set stock aside.
- Combine feta cheese, cottage cheese, basil, juice, and 1 clove garlic; set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Place flour in a small saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Stir in shrimp stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Spread ½ cup sauce in bottom of a 23 x 20 cm baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 lasagna sheets, slightly overlapping, over sauce; top with ⅓ feta cheese mixture, ⅓ crab mixture, ⅓ shrimp, ⅔ cup sauce, and ⅔ cup mozzarella. Repeat layers twice, ending with mozzarella. Bake at 190°C for 40 minutes or until golden. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.