A tasty and easy to make midweek meal or snack of tasty tacos filled with firm fish fillets, lettuce, and vegetable salsa all topped with grated cheddar cheese.
Author: The Cook
- ½ tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 450 g white fish fillets (blue-eyed cod, hoki, or similar)
- 1 onion, cut into rings
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), quartered
- 1 yellow capsicum (bell pepper), quartered
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
- 12 small tortillas or taco shells
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded or chopped
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream (optional)
- In a bowl, mix butter and chilli powder together. Season with pepper. Brush fish fillets with some of the spiced butter. Add onion and capsicums to butter and mix to coat.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat or oven to 230°C (450°F)
- Transfer onion and capsicums to the grill or a baking sheet.
- Cook (lid closed if barbecuing) for 15 minutes, turning a few times for even cooking.
- Add fish and cook for 5 - 10 minutes more depending on the thickness of the fish fillets (The vegetables should be browned and tender). Remove from heat.
- Finely chop vegetables and mix with jalapeño pepper, lemon juice and coriander to make a vegetable salsa. Season with salt and pepper.
- Briefly heat the tortillas on the grill or in the oven.
- Fill tortillas with lettuce, fish, salsa and top with grated cheese.
- Serve with sour cream, if desired.