Lemon and Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon Garlic Croutons
Lemon and garlic go so well together with prawns, and added together with spaghetti make for a wonderfully refreshing simple meal. Let your mind wander along the coast of Italy as you dine on this tasty pasta dish.
- 500 g spaghetti
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 500g green prawns, peeled, deveined, finely diced (leave 8 whole to use as a garnish)
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup white wine
- juice and zest of 3 lemons
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced or very finely chopped
- 2 cups cubed bread (use day-old bread)
- zest of 1 lemon
- Make the croutons - put the oil into a pan on a low-medium heat. Add the anchovies and minced garlic. Cook while stirring so the anchovies break up. Toss in the cubed bread and cook, while stirring, until the cubed are cooked to a nice golden brown colour. Take the pan from the heat and put the croutons into a serving bowl. Toss with the lemon zest.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to packet directions or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pan over a medium heat until the butter has melted.
- Place garlic and prawn meat into pan and saute for 3-5 minutes or until prawns are cooked.
- Add the tomato puree, white wine, lemon zest and juice and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add parsley and mint to pan, stir through and turn off the heat.
- Toss the drained spaghetti through the sauce.
- Serve with 2 cooked whole prawns per serve as garnish, the lemon-garlic croutons, and extra cracked black pepper.
For a little extra bite you can add a seeded thinly sliced red chilli at step 4