Try this freshly baked and flaked snapper generously flavoured with Middle Eastern herbs and spices with Fattoush or your preferred salad.
Flaked Baked Snapper with Lebanese Spices
- 1.3 kg fresh red snapper
- 1 green capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 garlic bulb, crushed
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano flakes (or dried thyme)
- ½ tablespoon dried coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons Sumac
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Rinse the fish with water then place in a baking tray and rub with a sprinkle or two of salt and ½ tablespoon oregano flakes, place some cut lemons inside the fish cavity, and bake for 20 minutes at 175°C.
- Mix crushed garlic with lemon juice, the remaining oregano flakes, dried coriander leaves, sumac, olive oil and salt to taste.
- Mix the resulting red spice paste with the diced capsicums.
- Once the fish is baked, and while still warm, remove the flesh and place into a clean baking tray.
- Scoop the paste on top of it until it's all covered. (You don't have to mix it, the paste will seep through naturally.)
- Bake again for about 10 minutes at 175°C so the paste infuses well into the fish flesh then serve hot or cold.