Smooth and creamy Arborio rice combined with the delicate flavour combination smoked trout, mascarpone cheese, lemon and chives make this dish perfect for a dinner for two.
Smoked Trout Risotto
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¾ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups hot vegetable stock
- 150 g smoked trout, carefully flaked from bones (remove any skin and bones)
- 50 g mascarpone
- zest 1 lemon, plus ½ tablespoon of the juice
- small bunch chives, snipped
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a frying pan, gently fry the onion in the oil until softened. Tip in the risotto rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add 1 cup of the stock, and simmer, gently stirring until the stock has been absorbed.
- Add a second cup of stock and carry on cooking, stirring a bit more, until that has been absorbed too.
- Add the last cup of stock and cook until creamy and the rice is just tender.
- Stir in the flaked smoked trout, mascarpone, lemon zest, most of the chives and some seasoning.
- Cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes .
- Lastly season with a squeeze of lemon juice, divide between two bowls and top with the remaining chives.