Take a break from onion rings and fry up some capsicum rings today. You’ll love the crunchy change of flavour!
Crispy Battered Capsicum Rings
- 4 green or red capsicums (bell peppers) (or a combination of both)
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt plus extra for sprinkling
- Slice tops off capsicums and remove seeds; cut each capsicum into 5 - 6 mm rings. Place 3 cm oil in a stockpot and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat milk, flour, cornflour, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium. Dip a few capsicum rings into batter, allowing excess batter to drip back into bowl. Carefully place rings in oil one at a time; fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning halfway through cooking. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until all capsicum rings are fried, adding more oil as needed.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately, or keep warm in a 90°C oven until ready to serve.