Lettuce Wedges with Apple, Almonds, and Blue Cheese Dressing
The nutty flavour of toasted almonds and the tartness of Granny Smith apple cubes vitalize the classic combination of iceberg lettuce and blue cheese.
Author: The Cook
- 60 g whole shelled almonds
- 130 g blue cheese, crumbled
- 1½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ¾ tablespoons olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small - medium head iceberg lettuce, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1 cm cubes
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until lightly toasted, 7 - 8 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cheese, lemon juice, buttermilk, and oil until smooth, and season with pepper.
- Break each lettuce wedge in half. Divide among four plates; top with apple. Spoon dressing over each serving. Garnish with almonds; serve immediately.
To get a bit more flavour from the Blue Cheese try grating it instead of crumbling.