Baby beetroots served with walnuts, smooth blue cheese, a simple vinaigrette and some crusty bread, this salad makes a perfect little starter or side dish to any meal.
- 6 baby red beetroots, trimmed and cleaned
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- ½ tablespoon sherry vinegar (or raspberry vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 150 - 200 g Fourme d’Ambert
- Cook the cleaned baby beetroots in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender and a knife inserts easily. Drain the beetroots and stand until cool.
- Meanwhile, place a heavy-bottomed pan over a low heat. Add walnuts, turning occasionally, until browned in spots, 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- Remove any remaining skin from the beetroot and slice into half-moons.
- Pour oil into a cruet or small bowl. Drip in vinegar, add mustard and season to taste. Whisk until well-emulsified.
- Arrange slices of beetroot on a serving plate. Crumble walnuts over the beetroot. Cut the cheese into small chunks and scatter on top. Drizzle over dressing and serve.
Make sure the walnut oil you buy has been stored in the refrigerator because it will quickly turn rancid if left at room temperature.