This quick and easy side dish recipe of green beans, almonds, and lemons goes well with chicken or fish.
Sauteed Green Beans with Lemon Zest and Almonds
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 450 g green beans, stem-end trimmed, and halved
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. When the skillet is hot, add the almonds and toast for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden; remove almonds and set aside.
- Add green beans to the skillet with water, oil, and salt. Increase heat to medium-high, cover skillet, and cook beans for 5 to 8 minutes, until bright-coloured and fork-tender.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 1 to 2 more minutes, until the water evaporates and the green beans begin to sauté.
- Turn off heat, stir in toasted almonds, lemon peel, and parsley. Serve immediately.