Sweet and Sour Celery with BBQ Tuna Steaks
Tuna steaks pair nicely with this sweet and sour saute of celery, onions, and capers. A quick and easy side dish for your next barbecue or grilled meat.
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Seafood
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 celery hearts, rinsed and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1½ tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 2¼ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 fresh tuna steaks
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion and cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Add the chopped celery heart and cook for a further 3 - 4 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook over a medium heat until the tomatoes become pulpy.
- Add the capers, sugar and vinegar. Turn up the heat and cook until the vinegar has evaporated. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle or BBQ and brush the tuna with a little oil and season.
- Place the tuna in the hot pan and cook for about 3 minutes on each side. (1 minute each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for well done).
- Serve the tuna steaks topped with the celery mixture and scatter over chopped parsley.
- Season to taste and serve.