Carrots on the side of your pancakes – well, not really. The carrots are in the pancakes – think of these gems as flattened carrot cakes with a delightful drizzle of maple flavoured cream cheese dotted with pecans.
Carrot Pancakes with Cream Cheese and Pecan Sauce
Carrots on the side of your pancakes - well, not really. The carrots are in the pancakes - think of these gems as flattened carrot cakes with a delightful drizzle of maple flavoured cream cheese dotted with pecans.
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2¼ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed finely grated peeled carrots, patted dry on paper towels (about 3 medium sized carrots)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest, optional
- ¼ cup finely diced candied ginger
- ¼ cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- cooking spray or melted butter for making pancakes
For the cream cheese sauce
- 115 g softened Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spices and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla extract, carrots and orange zest and whisk until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, fold in the ginger and pecans and mix until just combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray or brush with melted butter. Spoon ¼cup mounds of the batter onto the pan, spreading with a spatula. Cook for 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook 1 minute longer or until bottoms are lightly browned. Repeat with remaining the batter. Keep warm in a 90°C oven on a baking sheet, if desired. Stack and drizzle with maple-cream cheese drizzle and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- To make the cream cheese sauce: Combine cream cheese and maple syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment until combined, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl, pop in the microwave for about 45 seconds until just warmed through and easy to pour.
You can use walnuts instead of the pecans if desired