Danger Dogs - Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
Street vendors in Mexico have been serving these treats for years, and now bacon-wrapped hot dogs have made their way north, south, east, and west where they have become a favourite snack or street food.
Recipe type: Street Food
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 rashers of bacon
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3-4 jalapeños, seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- optional condiments such as mayonnaise, ketchup, or American mustard
- Slice the onion into rings.
- Cut the jalapeños in half, remove the seeds, and then slice them lengthwise into thin strips.
- Wrap a bacon rasher tightly around each hot dog.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pan. Add the onion rings and jalapeño peppers, keeping the onions and peppers separate from each other. Cook them until soft and slightly browned (about 12 minutes).
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon-wrapped hot dogs in another pan over medium heat. Turn the hot dogs occasionally until the bacon is crisp on all sides (about 12 minutes)
- After the hot dogs are cooked, place them in a hot dog bun and top with the sauteed onions and jalapeño peppers, to taste. You can then add ketchup or mustard, however the traditional condiment is mayonnaise.