This healthy cheese and celeriac soup is a meal in a bowl – enjoy it with a simple watercress salad and fresh brown bread to make the perfect lunch.
Chunky Cheddar and Celeriac Soup
This healthy cheese and celeriac soup is a meal in a bowl - enjoy it with a simple watercress salad and fresh brown bread to make the perfect lunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 onions , finely sliced
- 500 g potatoes , peeled and diced
- 2 celeriac (about 1 kg), peeled and diced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 4 sage leaves
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 200g mature cheddar cheese , diced
- crisp fresh sage leaves (optional)
- In a large pan, melt the tablespoon of butter. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened, but not coloured.
- Add the potato, celeriac, the litre of stock, 4 sage leaves and 2 strips of lemon peel. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 30 minutes, until the celeriac is tender and the potato is collapsing.
- Remove and discard the lemon zest and sage leaves. Stir so the potato thickens the soup a little. (At this point you can cool and keep covered in the fridge for up to two days or freeze for up to 3 months.)
- When you're ready to eat, reheat the soup to just simmering. Stir in the 200g of cheese. Serve with crisp sage leaves for a special touch.