Sopa de Tortilla a la Mexicana
This hearty chicken soup with a Mexican flavour is loaded with chicken, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and zucchini. To save time, use cooked rotisserie chicken from the market or your own leftover chicken.
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- white ground pepper, to taste
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 3 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1½ cups shredded Colby cheese
- 8-10 slices avocado
- coriander sprigs
- In large pot, combine chicken stock, onion, carrots, celery, capsicum, potatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, garlic, and oregano. Season to taste and bring to boil. Simmer 25 minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes, and shredded chicken breast pieces. Bring to boil, then simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cut tortillas into matchstick size strips. Saute in hot oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- To serve, place tortilla strips in individual bowls. Cover with shredded cheese and ladle in soup. Top with slice of avocado and coriander sprig.