Sopa Fría de Aguacate - Mexican Chilled Avocado Soup
Brightened with chillies and lime juice, this silky avocado soup gets an added dose of richness from heavy cream.
- 4 serrano chillies, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 large ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- Combine half the serrano chillies, the avocados, and half the onion in a food processor, and process until a smooth paste forms.
- Add stock, cream, and lime juice, and purée until very smooth.
- Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl or serving jug, and season with salt and pepper; cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- To serve, divide soup among serving bowls and top with a spoonful each of remaining chillies and onion, along with the tomatoes.