Zupa Szczawiowa - Polish Sorrel Soup
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
- 225 g fresh sorrel, washed, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh dill or parsley
- 2 hard-cooked eggs cut into quarters
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, place 6 cups cold water, carrots and parsley. Bring to a boil and add bay leaf, potatoes and boullion cube. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté sorrel for 10 minutes. Transfer to the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Remove bay leaf. Fork blend sour cream with flour and temper with a few ladles of hot soup. Transfer tempered sour cream to soup, stir well and simmer until thickened and just under the boiling point. Adjust seasonings.
- Portion soup into heated bowls and garnish with chopped dill or parsley and egg quarters.