Chinese Five Spice Powder
Five-spice powder is a mixture of five spices used primarily in Chinese cuisine, but also used in other Asian cookery. Five-spice powder encompasses all five flavour types - sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, and salty.
- 4 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons broken cinnamon sticks
- 4 tablespoons fennel seed
- 12 whole star anise
- Grind each ingredient separately in a spice mill or mortar.
- Combine and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.