Basic Bread Stuffing
This basic bread stuffing can be used in the chicken cavity or baked separately. It is quick and easy to make.
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 cups day-old bread crumbs or cubes
- pinch black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ -½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- chicken stock
- Sauté onion and celery in the butter until softened.
- Combine onion mixture with bread, pepper, eggs, salt, sage and poultry seasoning in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in stock until well moistened.
- This basic stuffing is sufficient for a 2 kg chicken. Or, bake in a greased covered shallow baking dish at 160°C for about 25 to 35 minutes. Take the cover off the last 5 minutes to brown.
Double the ingredients for a 4 - 5 kg turkey.