Chestnut and Apricot Stuffing
It’s definitely worth the effort of making your own stuffing for Christmas dinner, and this apricot and chestnut combination is a winner.
- 600 ml water
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 225 g dried apricots, pre-soaked, snipped into small pieces
- 225 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 75 g butter
- 225 g frozen chestnuts, thawed, roughly chopped
- generous bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Butter a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Measure the water into a pan; add the onion and apricot bring to the boil. Boil for about five minutes and drain.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a large bowl. Melt the butter in a pan and pour half of this onto the breadcrumbs.
- Add the remaining butter to a frying pan and fry the chestnuts over a high heat until lightly browned.
- Tip into the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add the apricots, onion and parsley to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn into a buttered, shallow ovenproof dish and bake in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until crisp and hot right through.
Cool and cover the dish with foil, freeze until Christmas Eve.