Avocado Orange and Mesclun Salad
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 rashers bacon, cut into short strips
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 large avocado
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- pinch caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- cracked black pepper (optional)
- 250 g mesclun salad leaves
- 1 cup toasted bread croutons (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the bacon until crisp (about 3-4 minutes ).Drain on paper towels.
- Cut the asparagus into 2 cm pieces and blanch in boiling water until just tender (about for 1 minute). Drain and run under cold water.
- Peel the skin and pith from the oranges, then slice into segments (catch the juices in a bowl). Peel and slice the avocado and toss in the saved orange juice.
For the dressing
- Place the egg yolk, garlic, salt, sugar and mustard in a small bowl or jug and whisk until emulsified and foamy. While whisking, slowly drizzle in enough oil until creamy and thickened. Season with the sumac and add a little cracked pepper if desired.
To make the salad
- Arrange the mesclun leaves on a large platter or shallow salad bowl and top with the avocado slices, orange segments, asparagus spears and crisp bacon.
- Lastly drizzle with the sumac dressing and garnish with the croutons.