Cheese Bacon and Asparagus Muffins
These savoury muffins are best when eaten piping hot with a dollop or two of butter. They also go very well as a side to a salad meal.
Recipe type: Muffins
- 12 asparagus spears
- 400 g self raising flour
- 200 g cheddar cheese, cubed
- 125 g butter
- 1 small bunch chives, snipped into very small pieces
- 100 g bacon, pan fried, diced small
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon prepared English mustard
- 2 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cut the asparagus stems into small pieces, about 1cm in length, leaving the tips a little longer and blanch in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water, separating the tips from the pieces of stem.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the cheese. Melt the butter and pour into a jug. Add the chives, milk, yoghurt, mustard and eggs. Mix well until combined and season generously with salt & pepper.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the flour & cheese, and stir through the bacon pieces and asparagus stems. Be careful not to over mix and stop as soon as the mixture is combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin cases and push an asparagus tip into the middle of each.
- Bake in the oven from 25-30 minutes until golden.