This easy side dish of spicy green beans takes minutes to cook but adds a wealth of flavour to barbecued fish or char-grilled lobster.
Spicy Green Bean Sambal
- 2½ cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoons chilli paste, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 160 g small green runner beans, topped and tailed
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- sea salt, to taste
- Place the ginger and garlic in a mortar and pound with a pestle until a smooth paste forms. Stir in the chilli paste.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the beans and ginger mixture, and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the onion and cook for another 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
- Toss through the lemon rind and juice.
- Season with sea salt to taste and serve immediately.
If you can't find small runner beans, just use the freshest small beans you can find. A combination of green and butter beans gives a lovely contrasting look.