To make a garnish of crispy onions, the trick is removing a good bit of the onions’ water before frying.
- 900g onions, halved and sliced crosswise into 6mm thick pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- Toss onions and salt together in large bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly, transfer to paper towel–lined baking sheet, and dry well.
- Heat onions and oil in Dutch oven over high heat, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain onions in colander set in large bowl.
- Transfer onions to paper towel–lined baking sheet to drain.
- Use as required.