Erdäpfelpüree - Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 800 g potatoes, washed and peeled (see Best Potatoes for Mashing)
- 50 g butter, softened
- 200 ml warm milk (more or less depending on the degree of moisture desired)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 brown onion, peeled, then separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Wash the potatoes, peel, and cook until tender in salted water. Strain and allow moisture to evaporate in a heated oven for a few minutes.
- Remove from the oven and mash thoroughly.
- Add the softened butter and incorporate evenly - use the masher or wooden spoon.
- Heat the milk and stir in gradually, it forms a smooth dough consistency.
- Add the nutmeg and salt and stir into the puree.
- Set potatoes aside and stir-fry the onion rings in a hot fry-pan with oil.
- Serve potatoes with a garnish of fried onion rings and sliced spring onions.