Potato, Green Bean, and Plum Tomato Side Dish
This is a wonderful side dish that complements any grilled meat meal. Try it at your next family barbecue or dinner party with guests.
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cups Desiree potatoes, diced with skins on (or other red potato variety)
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 550 g fresh green beans, trimmed
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup fresh coriander or ¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 350 g plum tomato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic to pan and saute for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add potato, celery, salt, and beans and saute for a further 1 minute.
- Add ¼ cup water; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coriander or parsley, and tomatoes.
- Cover, reduce heat, and cook a further 4 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in red and black peppers.
To peel tomatoes, score the skin by making a small X on the bottom side with a sharp knife. Place tomato in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove tomato using a slotted spoon; immediately submerge in a bowl of ice water. Let stand for one minute. Skin should pull off easily with a sharp knife.