This creamy full-flavoured Chowder is as perfect for company as it is for the family.
Potato Prawn and Spinach Chowder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red capsicum (bell pepper)
- 700 g cubed Desiree potatoes (or similar red potato)
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon each of paprika and salt
- 450 g medium- sized prawns, shelled and deveined
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups chopped fresh spinach
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and capsicum and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add potato cubes, chicken stock and seasonings then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Gradually add milk to flour, whisking until smooth. Add to soup, stirring well.
- Cook 10 minutes over medium low heat or until thickened.
- Add shrimp and spinach and cook for several minutes more until spinach is wilted. (see notes)
If you make the chowder ahead, reheat, then add the spinach just before serving.