Try this quick and easy vibrantly coloured salad with grilled chicken at your next barbecue or family get-together.
Asparagus and Sweet Corn Salad
Recipe type: Side Dish
For the salad
- 6 ears Honey and Pearl sweetcorn, shucked
- 2 bunches fresh green asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn or cut chiffonade
For the dressing
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a large stockpot with water, add a pinch or two of salt and bring it to a boil. Place shucked corn cobs into the boiling water and blanch for 3 minutes. Transfer the corn into an ice bath.
- Blanch the asparagus spears (in the same water used for blanching the corn) for 1 minute and transfer to the ice bath.
- Once the corn has cooled, slice the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife, and then cut the asparagus into 2 - 3 cm diagonal lengths.
- Place both the corn and asparagus into a medium size bowl.
- In another medium size bowl, mix together sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over corn and asparagus.
- Gently mix together and chill or serve at room temperature.