This is a quick and easy creamy-cheesy potato casserole with an indulgence of coconut milk and flecks of fresh basil.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Coconut Milk Sauce
Author: The Cook
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: Serves 6 - 8
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 400 ml can coconut milk, whisked until smooth
- 1.25 kg Bintje potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin rounds (about 3mm thick)
- ½ cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Position the rack in the bottom third of oven and preheat oven to 205°C. Coat a 33 x 23 cm baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place onion in small bowl, and strain coconut milk over top. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir together potatoes, coconut milk, Gruyère, and basil mixture in prepared baking dish, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Evenly arrange potatoes to cover bottom of dish. (Potatoes should be covered with coconut-milk mixture.) Sprinkle Parmesan over top.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until top is lightly golden brown and potatoes feel tender when pierced with tip of knife.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Make sure to use full-fat coconut milk so that the sauce gets a creamy texture.