This brightly coloured stir-fried dish is not only tasty, but also packed full of nutrition. Perfect as a vegetarian meal, a simple snack, or as a side dish with barbecued chicken. Adding diced carrot and green peas to this dish is quite common.
Corn and Pine Nut Stir-fry
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- ⅔ cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- ⅔ cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup green capsicum, finely diced
- ½ cup red capsicum, finely diced
- ½ cup pine nuts
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt and water and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the vegetable oil in the wok over medium-low heat. Add the onion and rice vinegar and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes or until caramelized. Remove the onion from the wok.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil and the sesame oil in the wok over medium heat. Toss in the corn, carrots, peas, and capsicums, and stir-fry for about 6 minutes, or until the corn and carrots are tender. Mix in the sugar mixture, pine nuts, and onion and stir-fry for one minute longer. Serve hot.