This is a quick and easy way to make fully flavoured pickled red onions. They go really well on burgers or tacos, on crackers with cheese as a snack, or just drain and eat them straight from the jar.
Pickled Red Onions
- 1¾ cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 large red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- In a medium saucepan bring the vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.( Make sure the sugar fully dissolves)
- Pack as many onion slices as you can into the jar or jars.
- Pour the hot liquid and spices over the top of the onion slices.
- Cover the jar(s) and let everything cool to room temperature.
Makes a 1 litre or 2 x 500 ml size glass jars. Make sure you have the lids