Urap (sometimes spelled urab or in its plural form urap-urap) is a salad dish of steamed vegetables mixed with seasoned and spiced grated coconut for dressing. It is commonly found in Indonesian cuisine, more precisely Javanese cuisine. Urap can be consumed on its own as a salad for vegetarian meals or as a side dish. Urap is usually found as a prerequisite side dish of Javanese Tumpeng, a cone shaped rice mound surrounded with assorted dishes, as well as part of a Nasi Kuning dish. In Balinese cuisine it is known as Urab sayur.
The vegetables which are usually used in urap are spinach, water spinach, young cassava leaf, papaya leaf, Chinese longbeans, bean sprouts and cabbage. To acquire a rich taste, most recipes insist on using freshly shredded old coconut flesh or serundeng, instead of leftover. The shredded coconut is seasoned with ground shallot, garlic, red chilli pepper, tamarind juice, galangal, salt and coconut sugar.
- 250 g fresh grated coconut
- 8 red chillies
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 - 3 cm galangal(or substitute with ginger)
- 50 g palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- carrots, julliened
- cabbage, shredded
- spinach, shredded
- water spinach, shredded
- cassava leaves, shredded
- green beans, cut as desired
- snake beans, cut as desired
- bean sprouts, cut as desired
- Prepare a steamer. Gring the spice paste ingredients using a mortar and pestle.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the grated coconut with the spice paste until well combined. Steam the grated coconut mixture for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, blanch the salad ingredients
- Toss together blanched vegetables of your choice with some of the grated coconut dressing until the vegetables are fully coated.
- Transfer this to a serving plate and top with some more of the coconut dressing.
- Serve at room temperature with grated carrot, sliced cucumber, boiled eggs and steamed rice.
If the coconut is thoroughly cooked for more than 15 minutes, the salad can last for more than one day, refrigerated. If not, it is meant to be consumed on the same day. It is advisable to not mix the vegetables and coconut before serving.
Decrease the amount of chilies called for if less hot urap is preferred
If freshly grated coconut is not available, use commercially packed shredded coconut and add ¼ cup coconut cream to every 1 cup shredded coconut.