I just made date and banana cake from the recipes at Natural Evolution. WOW it turned out beautifully and tastes amazing. I half expected it to be quite a heavy cake, but it’s not.
I changed some things. I used raw caster sugar and Natvia (the baking version of Stevia). I also used softened butter not melted and creamed it with the sugar first. (read somewhere that makes cakes lighter). And I used olive, not coconut oil.
I bought my flour from “The Produce“, a bulk food shop in Ashgrove which sells green banana flour (and anything else you could ever want).
- 60 g raw caster sugar
- 40g Natvia
- 3 small or 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- 50g butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 100 ml olive oil
- 100 ml milk
- 80 g pitted dates, chopped
- 220 g green banana flour
- 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- crushed walnuts, cinnamon and sugar, for top crusting
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy
- Add bananas, eggs, milk, olive oil and dates
- Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until batter becomes lighter in colour.
- Pour mixture into a lined bread tin.
- Mix walnuts with cinnamon and raw sugar and sprinkle over the top of the mixture. And gently press into the top of the mixture.
- Bake approx. 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.