The piña colada marinade adds tangy excitement to ordinary grilled chicken breasts.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 700 g total)
- ⅓ cup corn syrup
- 225 g can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup rum (light or dark )
- ¼ cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place chicken in a shallow pyrex or glass baking dish.
- Place remaining ingredients in a blender and blend thoroughly to make a piña colada marinade. Cover, refrigerate and reserve ½ cup marinade until ready to use for basting.
- Pour remaining marinade over chicken, cover, and refrigerate 3 - 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken 3 - 4 minutes per side, basting with reserved ½ cup of marinade and turning the chicken frequently, until no pink remains and juices run clear. (see notes)
An alternative method of cooking is to cook in the oven at 175°C for 20 minutes or until no pink remains.