Search Recipes and Glossary
Measures Used in Recipes
- Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20°C.
- We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml.
- All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed.
- All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified.
- All eggs are 65-70 g, unless specified.
Annatto Benefits and Precautions
Annatto Seed, unlike palm oil or rice bran, does not contain any tocopherols so it is a natural source of pure tocotrienol compounds. In developing countries, particularly in Colombia, people with low income and less access to modern medicine resources use folk medicine and natural remedies for the treatment of common infections. Achiote is also among those herbs used in Colombian folk medicine to treat infections of microbial origin. In addition to the known health benefits exerted by carotenoids, a bioactive sesquiterpene from achiote exhibited moderate anti-fungal activity. Norbixin isomers are responsible for the antimicrobial activity specific for Gram positive bacteria found in annatto extracts.Annatto is a rich source of tocotrienols, antioxidants that are similar in structure and function to vitamin E. The tocotrienols from annatto and other sources like palm oil and rice bran are the subject of current nutritional and medical research since these compounds are thought to prevent cancer due to their anti-angiogenic effect. The