Fortune cookies are one of those things that entertain and amuse almost everyone, but how are fortune cookies made? Here is a good recipe and instructions for you to have your own fun.
- 1 egg white
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Butter a baking sheet and write fortunes on strips of paper about 10 cm long and 1½ cm wide. Generously grease 2 baking sheets. Mix the egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff. Sift the flour, salt, and sugar and blend into the egg white mixture.
- Place teaspoonfuls of the batter at least 10 cm apart on one of the prepared baking sheets. Tilt the sheet to move the batter into round shapes about 7 - 8 cm in diameter. Be careful to make batter as round and even as possible. Do not make too many, because the cookie have to be really hot to form them and once they cool it is too late. Start with 2 or 3 to a sheet and see how many you can do.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until cookie has turned a golden colour 1½ cm wide around the outer edge of the circle. The centre will remain pale. While one sheet is baking, prepare the other. Remove from oven and quickly move cookie with a wide spatula and place upside down on a wooden board. Quickly place the fortune on the cookie, close to the middle and fold the cookie in half. Place the folded edge across the rim of a measuring cup and pull the pointed edges down, one on the inside of the cup and one on the outside. Place folded cookies into the cups of a muffin tin or egg carton to hold their shape until firm.