Placed in the middle of your dining table with a platter of roasted vegetables, this tender roasted topside beef is paired nicely with a sweet gravy of caramelised onions and vegemite for the perfect Sunday Roast.
- 2 kg (approx)Topside Roast Beef
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon English mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- olive oil
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 3 tablespoons caramelised onion chutney (see note 1)
- 1 tablespoon Vegemite (see note 2)
- Crush the peppercorns, mustard powder, thyme and celery seeds together with some salt, using a pestle and mortar. Stir in the oil, then rub it all over the beef. (see note 3)
- Heat oven to 190°C and sit the joint in a roasting pan. Roast for 12 minutes per 450 g (about 55 minutes for a 2 kg joint) for medium-rare, or 15 minutes per 450 g (about 1 hr 10 minutes for a 2 kg joint ) for medium-well.
- Remove from the oven, lift roasted meat onto a platter, cover with foil and rest for 30 minutes before carving and serving.
- Pour any juices from the roasting pan into a jug. Let the juices separate, then spoon 2 tablespoons of the fat back into the roasting pan, carefully discarding any other fat. (If there is no fat, use 2 tablespoons of lard or butter instead.)
- Sit the roasting tin on a stove-top element and stir in the flour, stock cubes, marmalade and Vegemite .
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring well to scrape up any beef pieces stuck to the pan, then gradually stir in 750 ml hot water.
- Bring to a gentle boil to thicken to a nice consistency, then gently keep warm until ready to serve with the beef, carved into slices.
2. Marmite can be used if you cannot get vegemite. See Vegemite in the glossary
3. If you have time, cover and chill the meat overnight to marinate. Bring the beef out of the fridge 1 hour before roasting.