↑ Return to Questions

How is Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning prevented?

0
0
Commercial shellfish growing areas are monitored for algae and shellfish toxins. Generally, recreational waters are not routinely monitored for algae that cause PSP. This means collecting and eating wild shellfish always carries some risk.

Wild shellfish from unmonitored areas may also be contaminated by viruses and/or heavy metals.

It is especially unsafe to eat wild shellfish from:

  • marinas or other areas potentially subject to boat discharges
  • areas near outfalls from sewage, septic tanks, stormwater or industrial sites
  • areas affected by recent heavy rainfall
  • areas affected by toxic algal blooms

Cooking or freezing the shellfish does not destroy the toxins that cause PSP.

Commercial (shop-bought) shellfish are safe to eat because of close monitoring for paralytic shellfish toxins and other contaminants.

  • You must to post comments
Showing 1 result
Your Answer
Post as a guest by filling out the fields below or if you already have an account.
Name*
E-mail*
Website
Latest posts
 
Mac and Cheese Soup Choy Sum French Style Sorrel Soup Glazed Tuna with Stir Fried Greens Macaroni and Cheese Hawaiian Style Macaroni Salad Spaghetti alla puttanesca
 
Top 10 Recipes
 
Chicken Parmigiana KFC Pepper Mayo Clamato Juice Outback Steakhouses Steak Seasoning How to Make Basic Fritter Batter The-Aussie-Egg-And-Bacon-Pizza
 
Food & Health
 
superfood Fish and Shellfish Poisoning Fish and Shellfish Poisoning Rockmelon Mercury in Fish
 
Event & Food Days
 
 
follow on Facebook
 
Follow Our Cook
 
 
Hi There - We notice that you have an ad-blocker
Plenty of visitors do. All we ask is that you please consider sharing us or commenting on the post as a nice gesture.
Thank you for visiting The Taste of Aussie
Your Information will never be shared with any third party.
OR
Just before you go - please share us with your friends and followers.
Thank you for visiting
The Taste of Aussie