The delicious combination of red cabbage and chestnuts is a common in France and goes well with pork chops or with pork sausages.
- 6 slices streaky bacon
- 1 kg red cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed or finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup red wine
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 20 chestnuts, blanched and peeled
- Preheat the oven to warm 170°C
- Line a large flameproof casserole dish with the bacon slices. Add the cabbage, then the onions, garlic and seasoning.
- Moisten with the wine and stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the chestnuts, cover and put into the oven.
- Braise for 2 to 2½ hours, or until the cabbage is cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the oven and serve at once.
Don't be tempted to remove the bacon fat as the flavour just isn't the same.