A classic side dish in Iceland, these butter-and-sugar-glazed potatoes are ubiquitous on many Icelandic Christmastime tables and are traditionally considered a delightful addition to a roasted shoulder of lamb.
- 900 g small waxy potatoes
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- Boil potatoes in a 6 litre saucepan of water until tender, 12–15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; let them sit in the colander for about 5 minutes to dry out and then peel
- Add sugar and 2 tablespoons water to pan; simmer over medium-high until syrup is golden, 6–8 minutes.
- Stir in butter and potatoes; cook until glazed, about 5 minutes.